Wednesday, February 17, 2010

To eat dairy or not to eat dairy, that is the question

So I have read my fair share of diet and nutrition books. Pretty much all of the holistic health books are anti-dairy. This breaks my heart because dairy is my favorite food group. I have milk every morining as part of my breakfast, I have lowfat string cheese for my mid morning snack and a piece of lowfat cheese for my night snack. Dairy is just one of my many food loves. SO the question is, is dairy good for you or not? There is so much controversy over it. A while back Reina was wathcing an episode of Oprah that was all about health and nurtrition. Alicia Silverstone was on it. She has a book called the kind diet, which is a vegan diet, and she is so in love with it. Reina told me she wanted to give it a try and I thought she was crazy. Then I started researching about it and thought, why not try it? So we are going to be going vegan for one month. We start on saturday and are really excited about it. Does this mean I will become vegan for life? Probably not, but maybe it will help me develop some healthy habits. We are going to be doing a blog to track our day to day recipes, thoughts, results while we are vegan. Once the site is set up I will post the address. Hello Whole Foods, good bye Walmart.

6 comments:

Great Scott's! said...

Let me know how it goes. I heard about it too, but I think a diet that completely eliminates a food group is not too healthy. I am like you about dairy, and I know you and I share the same love of ice cream. Maybe it works amazing, and after I have this baby, there's nothing I won't do to loose this weight! So let me know the website!

The earlier limn gets the worm said...

Well after puking my guts out sunday and monday,it will be a bit easier to start the diet. Junk food and chocolate are furthest thing from my mind and mouth right now. I am looking forward to this! Especially looking at those chocolate affair pics. I look like I should be a spokesperson for Jenny Craig before the weight loss...not lovely. Oprah really puts life into perspective. Whole foods here we come! -Girl

Jeff and Kelsey said...

I think you will have much sucess because you are so dedicated in everything yo do! Reina has been telling me about this book, sounds great but not sure if I could totally go vegan it would be tough but the results would probably br fantastic, not to mention ya might feel better and heathier. Anyway GGOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

~~*I watched the show on Oprah with Alicia Silverstone. The food looks yummy =) You will have to let me know if you like it. The only thing with having to eat fresh veggies/fruits is you have to go to the store almost everyday. =( Who wants to go to the store EVERYDAY?? Not me. =( I'm good with once or twice a month. Can't wait to see your progress. You are good at these things. *~~

ames said...

bring it elisha and reina. i can't wait to be in the front row of your vegan voyage. side note: do vegans wear deodorant? because if they do then my neighbors have some explaining to do.

Anonymous said...

Ames, that is an excellent question. I can not speak for everyone,I personally will be wearing deoderant. Maybe something light such as teen speed stick in a nice strawberry scent. I also want to let it be known that I will not let flannel shirts take over my being either. I will wear just the right amount of flannel for veagans to take me seriously. Reins

Our wedding--The best day ever!

Our wedding--The best day ever!
I am such a sucker for wedding pictures so I thought I would post one of us!

My graduation, May 2008

My graduation, May 2008